Frequently Asked Questions

IRS problems have a way of ruining all aspects of your life. They take a toll on you financially, physically, and emotionally. You can never really forget about them, as they always come back each morning when you wake up! Many taxpayers are at the end of their rope with no place to turn for solutions to ALL types of IRS problems. At McCallister Law Group, we attempt to help people solve their IRS problems and allow them to get on with their lives. The vast majority of our clients never meet with the IRS because we know how to deal with the government so you don’t have to. You and your family can put these IRS problems behind you, often for just a few bucks. So don’t delay!

Penalty Abatement

Is it possible to have my penalties completely or partially forgiven?

Yes, it is possible to have 100% of your penalties forgiven or removed; however, you must have a good reason. Requesting the IRS to abate penalties differs on a case by case basis.

Audit Reconsideration

What can I do if I don’t feel I received a fair audit?

Although it is a little-known fact, there are many situations in which a taxpayer may qualify for audit reconsideration. You will be given an opportunity to have the original audit changed if the IRS agrees to reconsider.


Can I as a taxpayer appeal an IRS decision?

Yes, a taxpayer may appeal by filing certain paperwork. This puts the IRS on notice that the taxpayer disagrees with a particular decision. The appeal must be filed in a timely and correct manner to prevent important taxpayer rights from being lost. If the appeal is filed incorrectly, the taxpayer may lose the right to present his or her side of the story to the Appeals division of the IRS.

Collection Appeals

Can I appeal the IRS’ decision for an IRS levy or seizure?

You may file a collection appeal in writing before the IRS follows through on their levy or seizure. This one-page form will be reviewed by an appeals officer who will make a determination within five days.

Expiration of Statute of Limitations

Can I get out of paying just because these debts to the IRS are really old?

Yes, in certain circumstances. From the date of assessment, the IRS has 10 years to collect on tax liability. After this date the taxpayer can notify the IRS that this date has passed and owe nothing. If the taxpayer is correct, the IRS will be forced to write off these tax liabilities. Beware! There are many exceptions to this rule!

Innocent Spouse

Can I get out of paying for taxes my spouse or former spouse owes? I didn’t know he/she wasn’t mailing the returns after I signed them.

The IRS recognizes that this does occur and has developed guidelines under which a person may qualify as an innocent spouse. Should you qualify, you may not be subject to tax liabilities, penalties, and interest incurred by your spouse or former spouse.


Why don’t I just file bankruptcy and get the IRS off my back that way?

In some cases this might work, but the taxpayer’s income tax liability must qualify. Many taxpayers file bankruptcy without fully understanding what part of their debt to the IRS qualifies for discharge. Don’t feel bad, most bankruptcy lawyers don’t understand this either! A common result is that qualifying taxes are not discharged in the bankruptcy.

Freedom of Information requests

How would I know when and how my IRS problems started?

The Freedom of Information Act was passed by Congress requiring government agencies to disclose information when requested. We can obtain this information on a taxpayer’s behalf to help him or her better understand the whole problem and devise a solution.

IRS Forms

Contact Our Office and End Your IRS Problems

The only sure thing about IRS problems is…they don’t go away by themselves. Contact us now for a free confidential consultation by emailing our office or calling us at (888) 293-4952. McCallister Law Group is one of the premier law firms in Chicago. This means that you will receive aggressive representation from an experienced, energetic, and honest attorney.